Saturday, August 30, 2008

Rules are meant to be broken

Pulling in through an exit only lane, my late grandfather once told me with a smirk, that it wasn't breaking the rules if you do it on purpose... or maybe he said if you do it by accident... well, I don't exactly remember, but the gist was... rules are meant to be broken... and I've taken that to heart (along with "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission").

So yesterday, I was at home and remembered that I had told Kate I would make some deposits at the bank today (necessary fiscal protection for the holiday weekend automatic withdrawals). remembering that the bank did not close until 6:00, I decided to grab my bicycle and head to the National City branch in downtown Kankakee (the one we usually avoid due to the 8 drive through lanes and 1 or 2 tellers... the neglect of efficiency something you quickly... or not so quickly realize).

So I ride up to the only one of the 8 lanes that's open and get the quickest response I've ever received: "Sir, for insurance reasons, we cannot help you unless you are in a motor vehicle."

You have got to be kidding me!!! "Well, can I come inside."

"Sir, our lobby closed at 5:15" (it is not 5:25).

Oh man! "Um... I really need to make this deposit"... can't she just close her eyes or something!?!

"Our Bradley branch lobby is open until 6:00"... like that is going to help me... I'm on a bike (which you obviously have noticed) and it would be closed by the time I get there! I can obviously see that I am going to get nowhere with this rule following minion... she'll probably vote for Obama and his big government establishment to take care of her (and her money) for the rest of her life (well... stereotypes have to come from somewhere and I know Obama's government would gladly redistribute anyone's wealth... bicycle or no bicycle).

ANYWAYS... I debated asking someone if I could sit in their car and put my deposit through when they were done, but I thought that was somewhat too forward of me. I luckily had my cell phone with me and called Kate. To no avail, I also called my friend who works at the newspaper, next-door to the bank, so I could borrow his car.

So Kate came driving up and followed me through the lane as I parked my bike in front of the window facing the tellers. I got the tube, got in the car and handed it to Kate. She could not reach the shoot, so I got out and put it in for her. When the transaction was complete, I got my receipt and rode home.

Next time I think I'll just make engine sounds. So, Gramps... even though everything is better with gasoline (sports... recreation... fire...), I'll keep breaking those rules!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ben i'm surprised you didn't ask some if you could get into their car. but if you would have called your mother in law i could have told you the rule! although their are exception, like at our bank they allow people on rollerblades! think about it this way at least kate showed up so it wasn't a totally wasted trip! love ya!

Joy said...

Hey Ben, what do you really think about Obama?

Anonymous said...

To sum it up briefly: Nobama/Noprah