Friday, August 8, 2008
I know I am NOT that nice
I just finished grading AP biology essay exams and though my vision is a bit blurred at the moment my reward for finishing was that I could now share my "adventure in teaching" that occurred today. Now it is no secret to anyone that has classes in the trailer with me that my students get yelled at every day!! Now, it is hardly ever a raising of the voice out of frustration or exasperation, but usually just out of shear excitement for the subject matter. Since I claim to have a favorite everything in every chapter, I have something be excited about just about everyday! In fact, I was informed just recently by a student that sits in the "projects" that I "really need to find less things interesting!" I responded with "No, you need to find more things in your life interesting so that everything is not so 'boring' that all you lead is a boring existence in this world!" All he had to say was, "yeah...well...I like boring...existences..." On yet another occasion, I got a few new students from other biology teachers this semester. In one of my classes I was asked by a female student, who truly believes herself to be second in command in my classroom,"Mrs. Kunz, which is your favorite, mitosis or meiosis?" "OOOOHH most definitely, hands down, MEIOSIS...with all the tetrads and crossing over and genetic variation that ultimately leads to proteins that lead to WHAT you are with TWO NOSTRILS and mid-digital hair!! Definitely meiosis!!" She then leans over the to new kid and says, "She has a favorite EVERYTHING, and she makes you have one too, or just pretend to make her happy." Gotta love it!! All that to say...there is almost constant yelling, but almost never out of rage...however, I would like to think that I have very few students who believe me to be a genuinely "nice" person. Though this apparently slipped the mind of a student on Friday. You see Friday they had a project due, but my 11th hour also had a pep assembly which they were waiting to be dismissed for over the PA. So they were to turn in their assignment and wait for dismissal. I had some students that were putting the finishing touches on their projects and turning them in. I also had one student that still had yet to cut out, pretty much his entire project!!! So he was standing at my demonstration table in the front of the classroom, scissors in hand and cutting away! No big deal right... That was until they were dismissed over the PA and he took off, without even batting an eye, leaving a MESS of scraps of various shapes and sizes and the scissors all amuck...for what....for who...for me to clean that mess up?!?!? YEAH RIGHT!! Now I was HOT MAD, it was Friday, I was tired, I didn't want to go to the pep assembly and watch young teenagers getting jiggy with it out on the gym floor. However, I wasn't about to leave the mess for the janitor to have to clean up! So I picked up every scrap of paper and SAVED it for today. Then between 10th and 11th hour I distributed the paper all over the table and the floor and WAITED!! Then my when my little friend came in I waited to see if he would notice HIS mess...yeah right. So I brought it to his attention, which he began to refute and then quickly decided it was not worth it, and began to pick up his mess WITH an audience!! I believe he learned his lesson, for as they were turning in their tests today, he made sure that he got my attention so that I could watch him straighten all the piles on my table and pick up other peoples trash...good boy!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment