Friday, August 8, 2008

Two of my favorite new stories!!

Today I had to make sure that I got to school early because I had to run some copies before first hour. So I was bookin it through the hall this morning when I ran into one of next year's AP Biology students. You see, I met with them all yesterday to pass out books, give them the summer assignment, and of course give a "pep talk." I had been preparing for this "pep talk" all year. I had so many things that I wanted to say that I had learned and wished I would have had the opportunity to say but I didn't. We went through all the formalities, I gave an award winning performance, and they left.

Fast forward to this morning, I ran into one of those young pups from yesterday. He was really nervous, fidgeting constantly and eye contact was sketch. "I'm really sorry Mrs. Kunz, but do you have a minute, I really need to talk to you?" "Well, I am on my way to make copies but you can walk with me." "Alright, well I was just wondering, if there was at all a chance, I mean, is it possible for me to get out of this class?" I was stunned, he was one of the few that I liked. "Well, sure the class hasn't started yet but can I ask for a reason why?" "Sure, but first thank you for your time, I really appreciate it." (see I really liked this kid) "I have been up all night thinking about what you said to us yesterday, and you said if we don't heart biology this class is going to suck, and well I don't heart biology Mrs. Kunz!" "Wow, was that a direct quote?" "Yes, it was." "Huh, well I am so glad to see that you took my words seriously." "I mean I am really sorry but you said that this class would eat us alive if we didn't have a real desire to be in it other than just to raise our GPAs and you said you only gave out 2 A's this year...so I just don't think this class is the class for me." "I am so glad that you figured this out before the start of class and not half way through the first semester!" "So, where do we go from here?" "First, you can give me back your book and second, you need to go see your counselor and get a schedule change." "Oh thank you so much Mrs. Kunz, and thank you for your time again." So there you have it, 1 down and only 18 to go!!

Second story of the day, and this one is shorter. First hour today I had them acting out the old adage "you never really learn it til you teach it." So they were teaching their classmates the topics on the final exam review guide, at least those that were done with their review guides...those that were not done...I had special reserved seating for them. I took desks out of their usual positions and lined them up touching my desk and my demonstration table in the front of the room. All six of them where to sit there silently and complete their review guides! If you remember from previous emails and/or blogs the desks that are closest to my desk I affectionately term "the projects." I mean it as those students are my special little projects, they take it as 'gansta' talk of a locale. So favorite comment..."Man, Mrs. Kunz in three seconds you took me out of the projects and into the HOOD!!"

No comments: