There apparently has been some confusion based on the last post...I HAVE NOT MADE IT TO SUMMER YET!!! The seniors are gone, but I am still here with my freshman and 5 juniors...the fun is not over yet!! Though as far as freshman biology goes, we are done with all the fun stuff (personal opinion). We are now studying the biosphere and biomes and ecosystems, the basic interdependence of nature...not my fav!! My attention span is limited when it comes to such topics, as is my enthusiasm...which is basis my teach technique!! So the other day I found myself tyring my hardest to stay entertained during my OWN lecture and getting a bit annoyed at my boy in the front row that is "too cool for school" and for some reason I get a sick pleasure out of annoying this particular student with my LOVE of my subject. But at the present moment I felt like he was winning somehow...we were both bored of my subject...I mean talking about how consumers (you and me) are ultimately completely dependent upon producers (plants) for everything from oxygen to energy...snoozer!!! So I found myself picking on this kid...it went something like this:
Me: IF IT WEREN'T FOR PLANT'S ABILITY TO CONVERT INORGANIC SUNLIGHT INTO ORGANIC FORMS OF ENERGY YOU WOULD NOT BE HERE...THAT'S RIGHT YOU WOULD DIE!!! SO LETS HERE IT FOR PLANTS!!!.........HEY, I MEANT IT, SAY THANK YOU TO THE PLANT WORLD...NOW!! (then in almost unison the class thanked the plant world, everyone except for Mr. Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics)
Me: YOU (pointing at Mr. Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics) I SAID THANK THE PLANT WORLD!
Mr. Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics: Are you being serious?
Me: Hmmmm...YES...say THANK YOU PLANT WORLD Mr.
Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics: thank you plant world
Me: FOR CONVERTING INORGANIC SUNLIGHT INTO USABLE ENERGY FOR ME
Mr. Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics: for converting inorganic sunlight into usable energy for me
Me: THANK YOU PLANT WORLD
Mr. Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics: really...do I have to keep doing this
Me: Yep...grade depends on it...now say THANK YOU PLANT WORLD
Mr. Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics: thank you plant world
Me: FOR THE OXYGEN I BREATH
Mr. Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics: for the oxygen I breath
Me: THANK YOU PLANT WORLD
Mr. Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics: thank you plant world
Me:FOR THE LIMITED AMOUNT OF CARBON DIOXIDE THAT I BREATH IN
Mr. Too Cool for School and Mrs. Kunz's Crazy Antics: for the limited amount of carbon dioxide that I breath in (at this point I wish I could convey the amount of negative body language and disgusted facial expression along with the back ground chuckles...yes it was PHENOMENAL!!!)
Amusings of today's lectures: #1 When asked what the word "abiotic" means...and with a degree of help...
Me: What does abiotic mean? (LONG pause)
Me: Alright well, what does the prefix "bio-" mean? S
tudent: Study of life
Me: Well that is what "biology" means, but what does "bio-" mean?
Student: Life
Me: Yes, now what happens to a word when you add an "a" in front...what does "abio-" mean?
Student: (enthusasticly says) A LIFE
Me: False, and how about you chill out for the next 5 minuets!!
#2 When talking about the canopy that trees form in a tropical rain forest or tropical dry forest...reviewing the previous days lecture
Me: Close your eyes and imagine you are trekking through a tropical rain forest, look up, what do you see
Student: trees
Me: What about those trees leads to believe you are in a tropical rain forest
Student: they are making a canopy
Me: True, now can someone tell me what we call the life below the canopy? (no response = I call on someone anyway)
Me: [Student] tell me what we call the life below the canopy.
Unwilling Student: Sheets????
Me: Hmmm since we are in a tropical rain forest and NOT on a bed...I am going to have to go with NO!! 11 more days of this BLISS!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment