Friday, August 8, 2008

Senior's Last Day

Today was my last day with my seniors in AP Biology...and contrary to what I would have believed 150 school days ago...I was overcome with warm feelings for them all!! I developed a pit in stomach when I said goodbye to them...I truly will miss them!! They were after all my FIRST AP Bio class!! So how did we spend our final class period, studying for the AP Exam on Monday...well, not exactly...actually we read more Dr. Seuss!! We spent a half hour doing nothing but sitting on the floor in a circle and reading the rest of my small collection of children's books...THEN we reviewed for that thing called the AP Exam!!

One of my AP students left me with a parting comment "Remeber, plants have style!" Their ever so dry and nerdtastic sense of humor is what I will miss the most!!

In other news, yesterday I was left with a couple of fantastic comments:

Me: "Raise your hand if you can define or describe the word 'interdependence.'" (in the back of the room a hand that I am usually hesitant to call on...and you will see why...went up loud and proud. I waited for what felt like an eternity but got no other takers, so I had to call on her).
Student A: "Wait I just lost it..." (Long pause)
Student A: "Wait, what was the question again?"
Me: "Define or describe the word 'interdependence.'" (Long pause)
Student A: "OH YEAH...EVAPORATION!!"
Me: "What?!?!"
Student A: "Mrs. Kunz do you want to laugh at me right now?"
Me: "Yes I do...and in response to your answer, I am going to go with NO!"

Fantastic comment #2 In my biology class, just starting the unit on ecology and discussing how plants are the primary producers, they transform energy from a nonliving source into usable energy for all other living things. Discussing how plants take in energy from the sun and convert it into food. (Hand goes up)
Student B: "Wait, I thought you said that only living things could move, and since the SUN MOVES, then isn't it alive?"
Me: (there were no words only facial expressions)
Student C: "GIRL, THE SUN AIN'T MOVIN THE EARTH IS!!!"
Student B: (looks at me humbly) "I shouldn't have asked that question huh?"
Me: "TRUE!"

No comments: