Friday, August 8, 2008

The Amazement Continues

Continuing with the ecological theme...comments/questions that were made/posed yesterday:
Me: Another name for the boreal biome is the taiga (tie-ga) (a student begins to chuckle...then out right laughing begins...)
Me: Not sure that I want to know but what could possible be that funny?
Student: I thought you were trying to be gangsta and say tiger! (Long pausing with major attempts not to laugh...uncontrollably)
Me: WHAT??? When was the last time I tried to be gangsta??
Student: Well...I never really know what you are going to do...
Me: Right...well peace out Homie

Me: [student] give me an example of a coniferous tree. (mind you the definition is on the board)
Student: oak tree
Me: Really...False alarm...try again
Student: Well...crab apple??
Me: Interesting choice...but again NO...assistance may be found on the board in the form of a definition (she pauses and reads 'coniferous - seed bearing cones, and needles')
Student: OHHH...a maple tree
Me: A) Since when does a maple tree have cones and needles, B) Only listening for you for the rest of the hour...PAY CLOSE ATTENTION!!

I was describing the tundra biome and the long, cold, dark winters, because of the fact that they are so far north and with the ~23 degree tilt of the Earth the tundra biome can go weeks with no sunshine. (Hand goes us)
Student: Do they at least have a moon?
Me: Absolutely not...I will not be entertaining such a question...you need some time to reflect on the ridiculousness of that question! You as well will only be listening for the rest of the hour! (It was at that moment that another hand went up...I hesitated to called on another student right after such an absurd question...but clearly I had not learned my lesson quite yet...)
2nd Student: Well do they at least have extra bright street lights?
Me: In the TUNDRA?????
2nd Student: Yeah, well I mean with no sun, shouldn't they at least have brighter street lights so they can see?
Me: Who is this "they" you speak of IN THE TUNDRA that would be in need of street lights...and brighter ones at that? (Pausing...)
Me: You know what...you just keep working that out IN YOUR HEAD...the rest of us are going to continue on with the lecture.

No comments: