To start us off...two things I learned from my students last week:
1.) There are NO forests in North America
2.) What I am teaching them is "illegal in the state of Illinois." Now I may be looking to get fired but NOT arrested, and I am pretty sure teaching the theory of evolution is NOT illegal in the state of Illinois, or every high school freshman would not be REQUIRED to learn it!!
Speaking of evolution, today we were talking about two of the three components of Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection. Those two components being a) struggle for existence and b) survival of the fittest. As one may have already guessed the conversation quickly turned to animal vs. animal who is more fit (by their definition of fitness, not Darwin's).
"Mrs. Kunz who would win a lion or a buffalo?"
"Who would win a killer whale or a shark?"
"What about a whale shark vs. a real shark?"
"What about a dolphin vs. a shark?"
"Oh yeah, Mrs. Kunz, you said the only things keeping us from growing out of control were war, disease, and famine...what about JAWS?!?"
It was at that moment that I had visions of acting out survival of the fittest and allowing them to just go at it and see who wins...that for sure would get the point across!!
No comments:
Post a Comment