The Babe:
Our baby is about 6" long from the crown of the head to the bottom of the rump-- about the size of a large baked potato. If we were to measure head to toe, the babe would actually be about 10"! (That makes the belly make a little more sense!!) This week babe is still busy practicing sucking and swallowing, taking drinks in tiny sips of amniotic fluid. Hair is (hopefully) just starting to sprout. Oil glands are busy producing the waxy substance, vernix caseosa, that will coat the body all the way up until birth.
The vernix caseosa is the white, cheesy-looking substance that coats the skin of babies, and right now it’s being produced by our baby’s sebaceous glands. The v.c. will not only protect our little bean from dehydration, but it is also hypothesized to have important antibacterial properties.
And another thing: it’s thanks to the vernix caseosa that our kiddo will come out with gloriously soft skin, instead of like a raisin -- it protects the skin from constant exposure to amniotic fluid.
Me:
Still clean, four weeks and counting, actually I can probably stop counting all together because I have no intentions of bringing it back! Something tells me I have official reached a more "sensitive" time in the pregnancy where I can take just about any innocent comment and somehow find offense in it. For instance, last night a very nice woman asked to see the belly and then LOUDLY went on AND ON about how big it was...a few quotes..."WOW, YOUR ARE BIIIIIGGGG FOR ONLY 4 MONTHS!!"..."Well, actually it is more like 19 weeks..." "EVEN FOR 5 MONTHS, THAT IS THE BIGGEST 5 MONTH BELLY I HAVE SEEN!! THERE BETTER BE MORE THAN ONE IN THERE!!" Now, seriously...who says that?!? I mean I can handle things like, "Awww, you are getting bigger." or "Ohhh, looks like your growing." But, "I HAVE NEVER SEEN A BIGGER BELLY IN MY LIFETIME!!" Yeah, I can pass on such comments!! I have decided pregnancy requires censorship!!
Ben:
Needs to start running interference for all the UNSOLICITED ADVICE giving and HUGE comments!!
5 comments:
Oh my...I was wondering what your thoughts would be after those comments last night...I heard her from a few rows up. I can't imagine why some people think that's okay!! Have a good Thanksgiving...I'm sure Moses will be awaiting your return. Hopefully Tibbs will let him have some alone time!!
I am glad I am not the only one that thought that was a bit over the top!
That reminds me of when I was pregnant with Caleb. I cried after hearing "you are only 29 weeks? You look WAY farther along than that." And with Thane "Wow, you are getting REALLY BIG...and you aren't just getting bigger, you are getting WIDER too!" Gee Thanks. I decided that no matter how far along I was I would tell people I was due the next day.
Katie- I had a total stranger come up to me in the grocery store, rub the UNDERSIDE of my belly, and then announce, very loudly and rudely, that there was no way I was only 6 1/2 month along... I looked ready to POP! You're not alone and I love you. Praying for both of you.
Post a Comment