Story #1
Usually I don't have many stories from AP Biology but this one was pretty good. We were having a discussion about why cancer is more prevalent in older ages because of the "multiple hit hypothesis." The example I was using was colorectal cancer and I made the statement that at the age of 50 your doctor will start making you get regular colonoscopies. At that moment a student spoke up and tried to tell me that I was wrong, that it was actually the age of 40 that you have to start getting regular colonoscopies. We went back and forth for a minute and then he tried to strike a deal.
Student: "Alright, I will bet you a A in this class that it is 40."
Me: "Not a chance, but I will bet you a candy bar it is 50." (Not that it would have changed my answer but he is not my highest achieving student in the class)
Student: "Alright, you're on."
Me: "Oh, and Take 5 is my favorite candy bar!"
So with another student carefully looking over my shoulder, I began my hunt on the American Cancer Society's website. All the while the rest of my students are trying to decide whose side they are going to be on! I was astonished that this was even a debate, I mean it is not a secrete that this student is not doing very well in the class. But I did hear a comment from one of the students, "Guys, I don't know...I think I am going to go with Miss K. I mean she does have a degree in this stuff."
To make a long story short...I received my Take 5 today...There is nothing quite like eating a candy bar in honor of regular colonoscopies!!
Story #2
We were in the lab yesterday and I was walking around to the different lab benches when one of my students announced to me:
Female student: "Miss K, when you start to waddle I am going touch you belly!!" (a) WHO SAYS THAT TO A PERSON?!?!
Me: "No, I don't like to be touched!!"
Female student: "That's what my auntie said when she was pregnant!"
Me: "Well, mine is more on general principal of not wanting to go to jail!"
2 comments:
Strong work on the cancer screening knowledge! I must tell you, though, that the kid is right if his dad had colon CA at age 50 (10 years before age of dx in first degree relative).
Good thing he was just guessing with no support for his arguement...otherwise I would have had to split the candy bar with him!
Post a Comment