Saturday, October 4, 2008

Email from a former student...

I just checked my school email and I got an email from a student I had last year...that I never would have expected!! This student and I rarely saw eye to eye on my assessements of his work. Apparently, he is now realizing the fruits of our labor!! Here is the email that gave me a my first "warm heart moment" of the year!! (besides the heat dismissal!)

Hey Mrs. K!

This is Jake. I felt like dropping you an email, mainly with thanks for the A.P. Bio class. I'm in a Discoveries in Biology class at Purdue, and our teacher focuses greatly on utilizing the information into problem solving skills, not just rote memorization. And your class helped prep for this sort of thing. So, thanks! Also, if you have a subscription to Popular Science and haven't noticed (or just don't have a subscription), there's a brief article about how several groups raced to revert a mouse's skin cells back to stem cells, and then (they only mention the succesful Japanese group though) doing the same thing with an adult human's skin cells and respecializing them into brain and cardiovascular cells. So I thought you'd find that interesting or at least amusing that we knew that before Popular Science told a portion of the world. Hope your class this year is going great!

Jake

No comments: