So I may have written that last post a bit prematurely/I had forgotten some of the other funny comments that my students made in response to finding out that I was pregnant. Since Ben and I had such a good time talking about them last night I thought I would go ahead and share them with all.
Upon finding out I was having a baby:
Female student (actually my "pregnant buddy"): So, Miss K, when did you find out you were pregnant?
Me: Oh before school started
Female student: WHAT?? You just found out TODAY?!?
Me: Clearly we have taken "before school started" two different directions, I meant before the school year started NOT before 8:00 am today!!
Female student: So can we have like a baby shower for you?
Male student: Can I be invited? Will there be drinks??
Female student:Well, I guess this explains your mood swings last week!!
(due to the fact that she was tardy twice which resulted in a detention...pretty sure that would have happen whether I was pregnant or not!)
Male student: Watch your baby's first word will be something like 'nucleus'
Female student: No, I know what will happen at dinner, your kid is going to say things like 'Mom, can you please pass the sodium chloride?'
Female student #2: or, 'Mom, did you pack me any carbohydrates for lunch?'
Male student #2: Wait, you aren't really going to name your child a scientific name are you?
Female student #3: Yeah, like Atom, or Dalton...
Me: We will just have to wait to find out
Female student #4: Yeah, and stop makin' her kid sound like such a nerd!!
ME: Well actually I thought it was kind of funny
Female student #4: (with great distain in her voice) YOU WOULD!
Female student: Wait, so are you just quiting on us, like you're not coming back after you have this kid, because I actually like you...which is RARE for a TEACHER!
My thoughts: A) I thought this girl hated me B) mostly because I am constantly saying things to her like "You are conversation ground for the rest of the hour" or "You clearly did NOT censor the ridiculousness of that question before you spat it out your mouth and therefore you may not ask another question for the rest of the hour!" "Stop talking, you are making my eye twitch!" But hey I guess even brutal honesty wins some of them over!!
Female student (same one, said during the discussion of names): I think a good girl name would be Katie...it just flows really good together!!
14 other students in almost unison: That's the teacher's name!!! Why would she do that?!?!?
Male student: Wait, are you even married?
Female student: Well she wouldn't have a baby out of wedlock!
(favorite part of this conversation is that the girl actually used the word "wedlock!")
Then there was this morning, the day after my students found out I was pregnant:
Walking through the halls before 1st hour on my way to the computer lab I am accosted by a student who makes it her point to "part the sea" for my passing yelling "Watch out, get out of the way, pregnant lady coming through!!"
Then once in the computer lab, which is a small room with 40 running computers and therefore is really warm. I have a student make the comment to me, "I don't think you should be in such a warm room...in your conidition!"
That's my students, always looking out for my best interests...RIGHT??
No comments:
Post a Comment