Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Week 14 - I’ll take Dermal Papillae for $1000, Alex

The babe:
Break out the dactyloscope -- our sweet sprite finally has fingerprints! The arches, loops and whorls are just one of the many ways in which our babe will establish itself as a completely unique being, I am sure there are few doubts about that! And, the little one is increasingly responsive to external stimuli: if let's say I was to poke my belly, the babe will wriggle away! Though I have no sensation of such things considering the babe is only 3.5", just barely as big as a peach and I am supplying ample room to stretch our, or "swim" around as the mood strikes babe. Also we are starting to practice breathing, learning the inhalation and exhalation movements. Even though the eyelids remain fused shut, Baby is able to move the eyes around, and can finally make a fist. The neck is lengthening and the chin no longer rests on the chest.


Me:
To use the words of one of my swimmers "[You're] back!!" These last 6.5 days and counting of no vomiting have been like a whole new world...a new fantastic point of view...A hundred thousand things to see....I'm like a shooting star...I've come so far...I can't go back to where I used to be!! Words of wisdom and inspiration via Alladin! But it is true my world is looking up these days, I have started to feel more like myself as long as I keep moving. My only problems come when I stop for the day, but I have been trying to keep that to when I am going to bed for the night. My newest development is heartburn. I used to pride myself on never knowing what heartburn even felt like, for I had never experienced it...well that luck has run out and a new friendship with Tums has commenced.

Ben:
Yesterday Ben and I got to hear the heartbeat of our little creation. Which in the words of the doctor was "loud and strong," which we both concluded that we expected nothing less from our offspring!! The adventure to the doctor was an experience with Ben there, once we finally got into the exam room, Ben quickly identified the breast exam poster and model of the vagina (which he dared me to stick in my bag and take home...there are some dares a girl can pass up). But, while waiting for what Ben was convinced was an eternity for the doctor to come in he was brainstorming baby names. The names ranged from brand names for cellulite cream, VellaSmooth, to various birth control names posted around the room, months of year, seasons, numbers, to finally come to an end with sound effects!! Then he got a reality check when the doctor came in and started the procedure and asked if there were two inside?? Followed by Ben needing to take a seat and some uncomfortable laughing...fear not the doctor was only kidding for now! But Ben followed that "joke" with a comment, "hope there are two, because I am not doing this again!" The doctor whipped around and said "And what exactly are YOU doing!!" Ben stammering, said he was only repeating a comment that I (Katie) have made more than once! But it was funny just the same.
We celebrated the found "loud and strong" heartbeat with some Olive Garden and realization that yes this baby is REAL!!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Haha. Your experience with Ben in the office sounds alot like when I take Caleb into the office with me. He is fascinated by the vagina model too. He's two.

Brittany said...

Kate, I totally know what you're saying on never doing this again... tried to warn you guys, but know that it's all uphill from here! (just wanting to encourage you!)