Monday, October 20, 2008

Alzheimer's

A friend of mine told me that often times during pregnancy the brain succumbs to what looks like the earliest stages of Alzheimer's. I can only totally confirm such ideas. There have been multiple times while driving to familiar places, including home, that I have found myself blocks away the actual destination, for about a week I was convinced my name was spelled Katz, I left the vacuum cleaner halfway up the stairs for hours before I remembered I was vacuuming, I can't remember students names or just confuse them with another student that sits in that seat the following or previous hour, and for the kicker, today, I left my computer, grades, and textbooks at home next to the backdoor! This final confession resulted in me having to deviate from prior plans, which for an old pro like myself is getting all to easy, but also easily lead into telling my students that I am pregnant. I will fill you in on my favorite student response:

Upon filling them in on the big news and after the commotion began to subside...
Female student: Oh Miss K that means that tomorrow you and I will be pregnant together!!
Me: COMPLETE AND UTTER DISBELIEF...which showed on my face and was follow by classroom silence (which is big for this class)!
Female student: Yeah in my parenting class tomorrow I have to wear the belly all day, so we will be pregnant buddies!!
Me: I was about to come across my desk and slap you!! You are lucky that was the clarification/justification for your comment!!

Once the truth was out it was a pretty amusing moment.

No comments: