Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What is HE thinking?

I realized this week that Ben must be creating a monster in our daughter behind my back, for I would never impress such a quality upon a young formative mind. I was feeding Silas and trying to get Mary Alice ready for her nap. The first of this process is picking up all the books (not so much toys, just books) that had been strun about the living room. I pulled out the bin and she and I began putting the books away. When I thought we were done I put the whole bin away. Alas, she confessed that she had stowed a book away for a later time under the couch. She pulled in out and without even being asked she put in the bin. The issue comes in the fact that she was having trouble getting the book all the way in AND flat. I was confused at the frustration for the book was in the bin, which I tried to convince her she had done a "good job!" NOPE, it was not good enough! She tried and retried four times, with plenty of negative sound effects, but finally got the book exactly the way she wanted it...completly and neatly in the bin! That, right there, is her DAD all the way!! What do I have to say about such "traits"...nothing but...who really wants to live a life like that?? So I have HAD to spend the rest of the afternoon UNstraightening items and dishevling the play space and monitoring Mary Alice's attempts to "become her fater!"

Interesting scenario that took place this week that will only add to my point. I have been selling and mailing Ben's old textbooks this summer. I went in to mail a book for him a couple of days ago and before placing the book in the envelope I notice a piece of paper sticking out of it. I removed that paper only find written on the note in Ben's handwriting...

OCD
feelings buried--> suppressed
afraid I won't perceive non-verbal cues
oblivious
literal word meaning only

First words out of my mouth were, "of course, why wouldn't I pull a note out of my husband's book titled OCD?" I am still unclear if it was notes from the book or if he was just revealing in his own character traits so much that he just write them down...really it's a toss up!

No comments: