Friday, January 9, 2009

WOW!!

Real Story #1
Today we continued our lectures on cell division beginning with a review on asexual vs. sexual reproduction (which apparently set the mood) and then went on into a discussion of chromosomes.
I said that humans have 46 chromosomes.
Mr. Do you have any Rash Cream says, "23 from mom and 23 from dad!!"
"Awesome," I replied.
Then I said that carrots have 18 chromosomes.
Mr. Do you have any Rash Cream says, "9 from mom and 9 from dad!"
A female student quips back, "Carrots don't have parents!!"
Me: "Well...it is sexual reproduction..."
Male student: "So then are there boy carrots and girl carrots?"
Me: "There are male parts and there are female parts..."
Male student: "So then they are bisexual..."
Me: "No I would go with hermaphroditic"
Female student: "Ohhhhhh, like gardening!!!" (Still not sure about that comment...but she continues it with) "So then is the gardener like the doctor?" (REALLY....REALLY...did she just ask me this with that much seriousness in her voice??)
I then left the room, went across the hall and told this very tale to the teacher and her class!! They got a kick out of it!

Real Story #2 (Same class...of course)
Now we are talking about liver cells, more like using liver cells as an example...
Male student: "Where does the liver that we eat come from?"
Me: "Like chicken or beef liver..."
Male student: "Oh ok, so then what part of the body are we eating?"
(REALLY....REALLY...did he just ask me this with that much seriousness in his voice??)
I then left the room, went across the hall and told this very tale to the teacher and her class!! They got a kick out of it!

3 comments:

Caleb Benoit said...

I want to visit your class.

Courtney said...

Who is this other teacher you are telling stories to? I'm jealous...

Anonymous said...

Oh Courtney, fear not, you have not been replaced!! But this semester Geri gets her own room in Lauren's old place...so she is the lucky listener!