Thursday, January 15, 2009

Week 26 - Nobody puts Baby in the corner...

The Babe:
Our two-pound dreamer’s eyelashes are growing in this week and the eyelids are no longer fused shut, which means those lashes will be batted at Daddy in no time at all. The babe is also in heavy training for the season-ending dance with Johnny Castle as the babe moves in rhythm to the music with which I've apparently been tickling those ears with. Most people think the uterus is a quiet place, well insulated from noise. The truth is, our sweet babe has been surrounded by sound for a long time: blood whooshing by, my thudding heartbeat and a cacophony of other body functions.
Even though the skin is losing its transparency, those tiny veins are still visible. The brain continues to develop tissue and neurons at a record pace, which will continue until almost 8 years old! Oil and sweat glands are fully functional (although, we all know our babe doesn't sweat...glistens).

The Parents:
Well I apparently messed up yesterday. First, of all I was dealing with the nutjob Dr. that I try to avoid but to no avail there she was in room 2 with me. As she was in the process of measuring my belly and listening to the heartbeat she tells me that where I live, we are supposed to get "another 8" of snow." I was convinced that this could not be the case because we must ALREADY have 8". As she was arguing this FACT with me I finally said that I shoveled those 8" before I could leave the driveway to get there!! Not realizing yet what I had said wrong yet,
Dr. Nutjob says, "Excuse me...what did you just say?"
So I repeated myself.
Dr. Nutjob: "You do realize that you just told your OB/GYN that you shoveled snow 26 weeks pregnant!! Who does that? Do you not understand what you have done?"
Me: "Then I tried to get her to understand that it was no big deal, the snow was really light..."
Dr. Nutjob: (speaking to my unborn) "Did you know that your mom shoveled snow today? Did you know that your mom told her OB/GYN that she shoveled snow today?"
Then she asked me if the babe was a boy or a girl and then right on cue the babe gave three BIG kicks, to which my belly completely rocked to the left side, and Dr. Nutjob even backed away from the belly!!
Me: "Yeah, that keeps happening...and we are not finding out the gender...SURPRISE!"
Due to requests/reprimands I have a new belly shot for your viewing pleasure. I am not sure why I have to "prove" that I am truly getting LARGER THAN LIFE!


Oh yeah, Ben is still around, and he did shovel the driveway before he left for work that morning...he is not to be blamed for my manual labor!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Kate, you look beautiful (and you're not allowed to argue... just make the face and go with it). OBs are a crazy breed. I've decided that only half of what they say is admissible in court.