Yesterday I got Mary Alice and myself ready and out the door by 9:15! (On a Saturday, that is an accomplishment). All that arguing and wresting to put clothes on was for Dr. Seuss Story Time at our local Target. I had little information as to what to expect. I received a flier and the cashier told a little about it from last year. Apparently, I took this little bit of information and IN MY HEAD turned it into an event to be remembered for YEARS to come, complete with Cat in the Hat hats for the kids and a real live Cat in the Hat reading to a calm, collective group of attentive toddlers. Mary Alice’s friend Nora and her mom joined us for what I had promised Mary Alice to be an event worth all the hassle of the morning. Well, as we rounded the corner, following the signs we came upon a gathering of children, with snack bags and crayons, NO hats, No Cat in the Hat, but instead it was members of the local police department reading to the kids. The first reader when we arrived just happened to be the high school’s police liaison, and he was reading “Hop on Pop.” He came down and sat by us after and admitted it was a TOUGH one to read.
Mary Alice in true Mary Alice form, sat for about 3.7 seconds and then was up and visiting other families, talking about “all the kids,” telling them what colors they were wearing, asking them “what are you?” meaning “[Who] are you?,” trying to snatch others fruit snacks, using other’s crayons and defacing their coloring papers, checking out the backdrop WHILE the story was being read, and then starting a game of Hide and Seek by herself (although anyone was welcome to join…you just may never know what it is you are looking for)! I leaned over to the officer and said, “Yeah, we need A LOT of work on stranger danger!” Now, I don’t blame her for having a tough time focusing on the middle-aged men struggle to read books like “Fox in Socks” with absolutely NO voice inflection at all, I was having a difficult time not getting up and showing them how these books are supposed to be read! But I was more focused on the fact that we are approaching an almost scary lack of stranger danger in our friendly/curious little lady!
Today being Sunday, the kids and I have had LOTS of alone time to play and listen to “susic.” Silas and Mary Alice have become each other’s best friends and it is the cutest most heartwarming event to hear Silas cry and Mary Alice run over and pat him on the back and say, “Oh Bubie, Oh Buuuubie, no cry, what’s matter? Momma Sy sad. Oh no Sy its okay!” and seal it all with a big hug! Precious I tell you!
Mary Alice has also taken to singing along with her new Veggie Tales CD. She sings, “I’ve got the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my PART” (not sure if the pun is intended or not?) “Father Ham and Sons” “Who built the ark? Nora, Nora” and my favorite when she revises “The B-I-B-L-E” they say ”I stand alone on the Word of God” and she adds “AND JESUS!” She may be advanced in some ways but I think a discussion of the Trinity may be a little over her head!
Speaking of advanced, there is my boy. Now it is true that the words “advanced” and “Silas” are not often used together but I am here to tell you that I have discovered a couple of things that he is ahead of his sister (at least when she was his age). He may not be advanced in much but EATING is his strong point! Mum-mums at 6 months…no match for Sy-man! He was pretty sure I had given him a precious treasure and he just had to CONSUME it ASAP!
However, this picture makes him look more determinded than thrilled, he is a ball of emotions!


Then there is the degree of strength and girth that this child possesses. On a morning home with Dad, some independent play resulted in some acrobatics, and of course his dad had to take a picture before assisting him in righting himself!

Also, there is advancement in Silas’ verbal flatulent sound-effects. He is 112% impressed with himself! It is also 112% hysterical to him! His parents are SO PROUD! (I will get video soon).

Then there is the healthy sense of attachment that Silas has developed. Though at times it appears more like needy/scared of anything and everything that makes any loud or sudden noise behavior, Ben has informed me that it is more like “healthy attachment.” Huh, I just thought he was a pansy!
A "normal" Saturday morning with the Kunz spawn!

I guess that is all for now…the pansy just woke up!
4 comments:
I guess I better take over the blog... and Kate & I are going to have to have some discussions on some more advanced psychological topics... such as "name calling."
I have watched Mary Alice climb all over him and I believe a day will come when he stands up and announces the end of being pushed around. Anything but a pansy.
Barry
Cake-eater comes to mind perhaps...
paps
Sy's day will come and Mary Alice better learn to be kind more often. Remember she never had to deal with a sibling crawling all over her when she was first introduced to the family. Keep the stories and pics coming.
Post a Comment