One of the sweet joys of teaching is the hope and excitement that surrounds a possible snow day!! Hope and excitement were running rampant on [Tuesday] all over school, among students, teachers, and administration. I tried not to get my hopes up, but let’s face it...how can you help it, honestly!!
This post continued to document the events that took place during the relishing of the snow day. This go around, the hope, the excitement, the Christmas morning feelings were all there yesterday afternoon as I fought the elements to get home to my sweet, compliant, independent little ones and my calm, patient, innately relaxed husband. As the evening progressed I realized I must have gotten a bit too caught up in the excitement and had become more than a bit delusional. For, the anticipated family that I dreamed of spending the evening and ENTIRE next day snowed in with…was nowhere to be found. I am still debating whether they ever existed to begin with, had I really only dreamed of such a group of beings to call my very own family?
I got the call last night that school would be cancelled for the next day, it was strange, the excitement was there (for sure), but it was fighting to stay alive amidst the whining boy, whining husband, and faux-crying little girl, that was really working the bottom lip and blinking as hard as she could to get sufficient ocular leakage to make it believable.
Snow Day 2011 began similar to Snow Day 2008; there was still a hot breakfast. This time complete with German pancake, eggs, potatoes and sausage. Although, this breakfast had an added flare of childhood curiosity, with a dash of time-out, and a serious lack of following directions. Events of Snow Day 2008 included, making the bed and making curtains for the kitchen. Events of Snow Day 2011 included all beds unmade, the curtains of 2008 are now in a box somewhere (although, this should not be taken as sign that the curtains are any less of a masterpiece to this day, just a change of color scheme), the day has been punctuated by 3 napping events, three actual meals, reading of MANY books at a variety of reading levels, unloading the dishwasher, reloading the dishwasher, cleaning the kitchen fourteen times, organizing laundry, changing diapers, wiping up spit-up, discussions about poop, two showers, two baths, and a frolic in the snow! Yeah, things look a bit different this go around. Though, much has changed in three years, I STILL HEART Snow Days!!!
Here are some pictures to document Snow Day 2011!
Ready for the elements that await:

Our beautiful babies:

Oops, then I let go:

Our little "angels":

At this point, about 2.5 seconds after we got outside, Silas had had enough:

I will be holding parenting seminars coming Spring of 2011:

Mary Alice is obsessed with Frosty the Snowman...we tried but this was terrible packing snow, she still gave the mini snowman kisses!:

We weren't sure how long she would last outside, about an hour later we brought her back in to begin the thawing process! She is a big fan of the snow!



Side note: during the course of typing this post I received a call from the school...another snow day tomorrow...
1 comment:
LOVE it! Sounds very familiar, except the snow part. Glad you could enjoy the fam on such a... momentous occasion :)
Post a Comment