Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Look at me, me, me. I'm 3, 3, 3.

The 3rd birthday theme was "Rainbows, God always keeps His promises!"  I am not going to lie this birthday was not only the easiest of birthday parties, but also the most fun!  One knows I don't shy from color and neither does my spawn, of the feminine persuasion, that is.  So rainbows seemed a more than appropriate backdrop for a party.
This birthday was different than the previous two, Mary Alice actually cared!  She was sooo excited for her "party."  We actually made a paper chain to count down the days to April 1st.  However, she didn't have her eyes set on 4/1, oh no, she placed her anticipation in the mighty hands of March 31st, the day of her "party."
When asked about her party, all she could talk about was how much fun she was going to have with all her "best friends!"

Let us take a journey through the celebration of "promises!"

Pre-party pictures:
There were so many attempts to achieve a picture sans creepy smiling, alas this is about as good as it gets!

Attempting to show three fingers, but looks more like a gang sign.
It is probably time to move out of the  K3!

Let us chat about Silas' face!
He had a run-in with the sidewalk after Mary Alice ran him over the toy shopping cart!
Her response was: "It's alright, Mom!"

Can we all just give a big THANK YOU to Aunt Bekah for these AWESOME boots!!!
 The menu:  Tacos, cornbread casserole, pink salad, fruit, cake...all things colorful and yummy!!




"What, I am how old?!"

I believe the directive was, "Show me your teeth."
We seem to have a literal-ist among us!
 After lunch we went outside where Ben had set up a treasure hunt for the kids.  They just needed to keep their hands on the yarn, follow it around until they reached the treasure at the end of the rainbow!


The treasure also served as a craft.



Masterpieces!!
 After a brisk jaunt outside, a successful treasure hunt and honing our artistic abilities, it was time for presents!

May have almost fallen in!
 Presents were followed by cake.  I will now shamelessly flaunt this cake!  I LOVE how it turned out, I LOVE looking it, and I LOVED how it tasted...yeah, I did good!!



However, Silas just wanted the pretzels!

It is true, Mary Alice was excited about her party, but not because it was rainbows, not because there was a treasure hunt, not because there was a craft, not because there was an AMAZING rainbow cake, and not because it was HER party.  Mary Alice was up at 4:56 am on March 31st, because she was going to be with her "best friends, and they are going to have so much fun at my party!"  I am not entirely sure how we ended up with such a sweetheart girl with such an innate focus on others.  Whatever we have done or not done to cultivate this focus, that seems to come with such ease for her, I pray that it continues be a central vein into the woman she will grow to be.  Mary Alice, you are loved by family and "best friends" alike!  We had so much fun at your party because YOU were there and YOU made it fun!  You are wise beyond your three years!!

PS - Thank you Melissa for all your wonderful pictures.  Photographer and mother of two!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet child and great parents. Poor Silas needs to watch out for the next few years. Then things will turn around. I love the rainbow cake. Will you make one for me? :-)
Aunt Debby