Thursday, August 11, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday Silas

Dear Silas,

We've made it through your first year of life! Not that this fact is a huge surprise, or even a huge relief, it is just a fact that comes with a sense of accomplishment. I have more than enjoyed (well... for the most part, not gonna lie, little fella) observing your growth and development over these last 365 days.

To observe, let us fully explore this very term, my sweet boy... for you will come to learn that your mama has a great appreciation for terminology, with a particular bent towards scientific terminology. I spend 181 (but who's counting?) days a year dealing with the term "observe" or "observation." I go to great lengths to teach 14-18 year-olds the ins and outs of observations. Silas, son, you will begin your learning trek with this scientifically foundational word earlier than most.

To observe has a couple of defined meanings:
1. to notice or perceive (something) and register it as being significant.
2. to watch (someone or something) carefully and attentively.

Approximately 1 year and 8 months ago I observed a bit of heartburn and a queezy stomach to be something rather significant. I quickly ran a controlled experiment. For, Sy-Man, what follows any observation that leads to a question is a solid hypothesis. If I pee on a stick then I will observe a "-" or a "+". I formed my hypothesis into an appropriate if/then statement ("if (manipulated variable), then (responding variable)" for your continued learning pleasure). Hypothesis is followed by a test or experiment, or in my case a bit of tinkle. After analyzing mydata, which turned out to be a "+", I concluded my/our lives where now changed FOREVER!
I cannot tell a lie, I was unsure the direction this change would take, positive or negative, there were MANY emotions flying high that day. However, I still cannot tell a lie! You, Silas, have made this little family so much better just for being in it! You have breathed a breath of "mischief with food on it" that I would not trade for all the "average/appropriate" number of months or years between children!

I have carefully and attentively watched as you lost your long, dark locks in exchange for your blonde... oh so blonde buzz. I've watched as you have developed your refined taste for all things edible... watched as you rolled over for the first time... as you designed and implemented your own version of crawling... as you learned how to crawl "like a real boy"... as you started pulling to stand and then "furniture walk." Silas, you are so strong, so determined, and so special! You are my bare chested, 100% nothing but boy!

Over the course of this year I have had the sweet pleasure of a front-row seat as your precious personality has started to form. You have been a sweet and sensitive soul from the beginning, you give some of the BEST hugs, kisses, and cuddles! You are an analyst of all things, and you question (maybe not for long) before you act. You look for security, and the moment you sense it, you GO! Your gentleness is counterbalanced with curiosity at your core. Your wheels are constantly, and visibly turning! You are mischief at its finest!

I look forward to more years with my sweet Sy! Your papa and I will continue to pray for you, for the man of God that you have potential to be, for the Godly husband and dad you will make someday. We will continue to pray for that blessed woman that you will one day take for your bride. You were named for a man that took risks for the God he loved, so be bold in your faith, follow the Lord's leading, take risks, cultivate your gentle spirit and lace it with wisdom, curiosity, and faith.

I have observed you and I register you as being significant, and I will be careful with, and attentive to your needs. With the ceaseless prayers of this mama and papa, we will be the parents God has called us to be, FOR YOU!

Love,

Your so very proud, and so thankful to be, mama




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!! Hmmm....makes me want a little man too ;)

MH

Anonymous said...

:) That Pic is So Cherry.